Our Globalization Project
MEXT's "Global 30" Project
In April 2009, the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) launched the Global 30 Project in order to further promote the globalization of higher education in Japan, and to achieve the admission of more than 300,000 international students in Japanese universities by 2020.
To achieve these objectives, the MEXT has chosen 13 universities, both private and public, as core universities for internationalization. The designated schools are expected to build and improve a system whereby overseas students may study and engage in research with minimal cultural and linguistic barriers. More specifically, they are expected to take the following courses of action to implement the project:
- Offer degree-granting programs with English as the language of instruction.
- Reinforce a support system for international students that facilitate their lives on and off campus.
- Provide a greater number of opportunities for international students to appreciate Japanese culture and language.
- Establish university offices outside Japan (at least two offices per university) to aid in both recruiting international students and in encouraging Japanese students to study abroad.
- Play a leading role in building an extensive network of Japanese universities so as to share resources and experiences for internationalization of education.
For more information about other Global 30 sites, please visit the Global30:Study in Japan (University) website. You may also be able to obtain more information about the G30 Project as a whole by checking the MEXT website.
The Global 30 project was terminated at the end of March 2014, Kyushu University was in charge of operation and logistics of the G30 Wrap-up symposium.
However, we definitely continue to offer G30 programs and try to make more comfortable campuses for all students.
In addition, MEXT has launched the "Top Global University Project" in September 2014. Kyushu University is one of the 37 core universities under this new globalization project.