▼Kyushu University Friendship Scholarship
The 2017 Scholarship Application, 1st Period, has begun. (Updated on Dec. 21st, 2016)
Under Kyushu University Friendship Scholarships Scheme (hereafter Friendship Scholarship), Kyushu University invites students from abroad who attend prestigious universities in their home country and who will play an important role in their nation’s future.
By offering them a chance to study abroad at Kyushu University, the scheme aims to foster the nation’s future leaders, maintain good relations with Kyushu University, and play the role of point of contact to cultivate joint research and bring in external capital depending on their course or career after graduation.
●Eligibility & Number of Students
Undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in a non-Japanese university that is recognized as a leading university in that country and has been producing graduates playing an active part as leaders within every sector of society.
Term of Study: 3 to 12 months
※In case of students enrolling in Double Degree Program, the terms of their study can be over 12 months, but the terms of receiving scholarship will be under 12 months.
※Both your period of enrollment at Kyushu University and the length of stay in Japan must be for more than 16 days of the month concerned in order to receive a monthly stipend.
2) Number of Students:
Up to 5 people.
●Classification of Grants
Grants are as follows in principle.
1) Travel expenses
Travel expenses up to 100,000 yen, will be covered (actual costs). However, this depends on the budget of Kyushu University. The details are as follows:
a) Round-trip economy air ticket via the most direct route between Fukuoka and the location of the recipient’s university. Air tickets and transportation fees in the recipient’s home country will not apply unless receipts and other proof of purchase are made.
b) Incidental Expenses Only expenses incurred through visas, travel taxes, and airport taxes will be borne by Kyushu University. In the event that receipts and proof of payment are not submitted, these expenses will not be covered.
2) Amount of Scholarships
80,000 yen per month for undergraduate students
100,000 yen per month for graduate students
Recipients of the Friendship Scholarship should obtain a “College Student” visa before entering Japan.
Tuition and Other Fees
In principle, examination and matriculation fees and tuition will be waived according to the provision
in an agreement or memorandum of student exchange signed between the recipient’s home university and Kyushu University. *This is only possible provided you are registered correctly as an exchange student at your home University prior to submitting the application for this scholarship. If the recipient’s home university does not have such an agreement or memorandum, Kyushu University will ask the recipient to pay the tuition and other fees during his / her term of study at Kyushu University.
Terms of scholarship: from April 2017 to September 2017
Application Period: January 30th, 2017
For Applicants *Language: English/ Submit to Supervisor or Student Section in Kyushu University
- Friendship Scholarship Application Form
- Essay: What I expect from Kyushu University in light of my future career plans, theme and practical plan for a research at Kyushu University (FORM1)
- A reference letter written by the applicant’s academic advisor to endorse the applicant’s suitability (No Fixed Form)
- An official academic transcript (in English)
- English language proficiency certificate, e.g. TOEFL score (optional / only if applicant already has one)
For Academic Supervisors (in Kyushu U) *Language: English or Japanese / Submit to Student Section
- A reference letter and a plan for instruction (No Fixed form)
- A letter and material to prove that the student is suitable for the purpose of Friendship Scholarship. (No fixed form)
For Student Section in Kyushu U *Language: Japanese / Submit to International Student Division
- List of Applicants
*Submit required documents from applicants and supervisors, as well.
●Requirement of Recipients
Besides study and research, recipients of the Friendship Scholarship are required to:
- actively cooperate in international exchange and community service activities as scholars.
- offer an oral presentation about his/her research before returning home.
- submit a report before returning home. The report should be made on the basis of the essay which they submitted for application, entitled “What I expect from my experience at Kyushu University in light of my future career plans”, written on A4 size paper (1000 words)
- maintain contact with Kyushu University, cooperating with alumni activities or similar activities after returning home
- Determine an academic supervisor from who you wish to have instruction during your study term at Kyushu University ※Reference>>>http://hyoka.ofc.kyushu-u.ac.jp/search/index_e.html
- Contact the potential academic supervisor by e-mail or other ways, and obtain his/her unofficial consent.
- Prepare application documents for applicants mentioned above, and send them to the academic supervisor by post.
- The academic supervisor prepares” application documents for academic supervisor”, He/she will submit them along with “application documents for applicants” to International Student Exchange Division through the student section of the department concerned by the deadline
- Applications for the Friendship Scholarship will be examined by the Kyushu University International Exchange Executive Committee and the final decision of the selection will be made by the President of Kyushu University.
- The International Student Exchange Division will notify the student section of the department concerned and the prospective academic supervisor of the result in writing.
- The prospective academic supervisor or the student section will notify the applicant of the result of the application.