The real estate agency told me that I need a joint guarantor. Who should I ask?

Japanese people usually ask one of their parents, but international students need to ask a friend or acquaintance living in Japan. Alternatively, there is a housing guarantor system that enables you to have Kyushu University act as your guarantor when entering into an apartment rental agreement.