Kyushu U 3MT Competition
This is an international competition in which participants give a three-minute presentation on their research in English, using only one slide. It started in 2008 at the University of Queensland (Australia), one of our partner universities, and has become a well-known and highly regarded competition with over 900 universities in 85 countries participating.
The 3MT aims to refine students’ academic research, presentation, and research communication skills. In addition, students are required to explain their research in a way that can be understood by non-specialist audience so that more people can learn about their research.
Kyushu U 3MT Competition
※Kyushu U 3MT Competition in 2021 has finished
- April 26th: Open for Application
- May 25th 12:30-13:30 : Briefing session (Zoom)（Experienced UQ student will be invited)
Please find the video and ppt slides below.
Watch the video
- June 13th ：Dead line for submission of slides and abstract (200 words)
*Depending on the number of applicants, there will be a first screening.
- Around June 24th ：Preparation session for 1st round applicants (online)
- July 5th ：Deadline for submission of video and slides
- July 14th ～ 26th：Voting Period for People’s Choice Award
Check here to watch
- July 30th：Kyushu U 3MT Competition (Zoom)
- Prof. Toshiyuki KONO (Executive Vice President, Kyushu University)
- Mr. Trevor HOLLOWAY(Consul-General of Australia in Osaka)
- Mr. Yasufumi HIRAI (Group Executive Vice President, CIO & CISO, Rakuten, Inc.)
- Prof. Lydia KAVANAGH (Deputy Associate Dean Academic, Faculty of Science, The University of Queensland)
- Prof. Kiyoshi TOKO (Professor, Research and Development Center for Five-Sense Devices, Kyushu University)
- Prof. Natalie KONOMI (Professor, Global Strategies Office, Kyushu University)
- Mariia Ivonina (Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Engineering Sciences)
→First Prize Winner
- Ryota Sakamoto (Graduate School of Science)
→Runner-Up Award Winner
- Yawen Song (Graduate School of Engineering)
→People’s Choice Award Winner
- Chairunnisa (Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Engineering Sciences)
- Billy Dawton (Graduate School of Information Science and Electrical Engineering)
- Raditya Nuradi (Graduate School of Humanities)
- Asmariah Ahmad (Graduate School of Engineering)
- Islam Mir Shariful (Graduate School of Engineering)
- Soon-Ho Kim (Graduate School of Engineering)
- Jumana Hussary (Graduate School of Engineering)
- Laras Putri Wigati (Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences)
- Yuuki Onishi (Graduate School of Systems Life Science)
- Peng ZiXuan (Graduate School of Design)
- Pooreun SEO (Graduate School of Engineering)
- First Prize
Research grant of 300,000 yen, support until the main competition (brush-up, video shooting, etc.), and Certificate
Research grant of 200,000 yen, and Certificate
- People’s Choice
Research grant of 100,000 yen, and Certificate
- Improvement of communication skills
In addition to academic presentation skills, you will be required to communicate about your research to non-specialist audiences, which will help you improve your communication skills to provide effective explanations.
- Building a research culture
Since participants come from a variety of fields, this is an opportunity to learn about each other’s research.
- Building External relations
International 3MT will provide to the represent their university excellent networking and professional development opportunities.
Kyushu U 3MT Participants
Students enrolled in the doctoral course of Kyushu University
*The winner will be able to participate in the Virtual 3MT International Competition.
*Students must be enrolled in the doctoral course of Kyushu University as of July 2021.
How to Apply
Students who wish to participate in Kyushu U 3MT competition are requested to apply from the following URL by Sunday, June 13.
Thank you for your interest.
Prizes (Research Grant)
*Please note that the allocated laboratory will use this research grant for the awardee’s research and will not use for any other purpose.
Global Engagement, International Affairs Department, Kyushu University